Thursday, October 31, 2013

Graphic novels

                 Are graphic novels, or more commonly known as comic books, only for children? Do they belong in college classroom? Before studying them in English that is what I thought. I believed comic books were for my ten year old brother who likes to read about superheroes and monsters. But they are not. Graphic novels actually show a lot of information that you could not get from the text alone. The pictures depict exactly how the author wants you to view their story.
                 When we read the Coraline, comparing the text version to the graphic novel, my idea of graphic novels changed. In the text when Coraline is talking to her dad, I thought that they were talking face to face, but when I saw the graphic novel I saw that is was different. Coraline's father wasn't really paying attention to her,  he was involved in his work and basically disregarded  what Coraline had to say. This reinforced the authors the vision of the book and made is easier for us, the reader,to understand the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment