Sunday, September 29, 2013

Oscar Wao v. Culture

       Oscar Wao was not the "typical" Dominican male. He was fat, liked science fiction and role playing, and could not get a girl to like him. "Dude never had much luck with the females ( how un-Dominican of him)" (pg 12) Even the first page of the book starts off with the narrator depicting the un-Dominican-ness of Oscar. In fact, he spent his whole life wanting a girl that loves him for who he is. He did not want to be the typical Dominican male and sleep around with many girls.
      I can relate to Oscar in a way, because I am not a typical Pakistani girl. There are many expectations of girls. We are expected to know how to take care of the house and the family. The thing that is stressed more in my house is education, which does not happen in many other families. Just like Oscar, I do not mind knowing how to cook or take care of the house if I have to. But I also want to be independent and know that I can take care of myself first.

No comments:

Post a Comment